Behind the scenes/maker
Hello, I am Rebecca Vander Sys from MindfulGlass by Rebeccas Studio
- After you know the basics Lampworking is a calming art form. Think, if you were looking into a candle and how slowly the wax melts, glass is similar that way.
- For me it is a calming /Zen feeling. Getting into the flow is what all artists love. Totally involved..lose of time.
- I have always been a maker ..since 4-H as a kid. My first Lampworking class was when I was a long term sub.. as an art teacher. My sister thought I should take that class and then teach her! Then I was HOOKED.
- As time has gone on I have done many shows, classes conferences, demonstrated at school and had a glass teaching studio and gallery.
- When I retired and moved downstate I needed to find a way to sell all the glass. The online learning /marketing has been a huge mountan to scale…way bigger than I imagined.
- During this process I took many marketing, web and etsy classes. Product photography is different than the art photography that I taught. With product photos, the image in center, bullseye and with art photos we use the rule of thirds. In addition to the fact that I taught darkroom film developing and now it is all digital
- I have sometimes neglected the torch, during this time which has been been frustrating when I really needed the art balance. Not counting the time when my wrist was broken :/ – ALL THIS-
- Which led to Mindful Glass. I started making talismans, pocket glass or tokens to remind me to to do what I wanted to do…like go for a walk or do my art… I felt I needed a visual reminder.
- Early on I made a lot of beads with orderly dots and lines.Now the focus is more organic. I have been trying to make scenery focused on favorite places I walk or visit.
- So when you see very large landscape paintings think of me trying to do that on a bead and with melted glass! I guess I am up to a challenge! Learning is key – mindfully yours….
- This is my script for my new YouTube channel… such a beginner but always learning!